A Community Developer - 2020 Midterm Public Summary


Throughout this summer, I worked as a part of the FACTSnet Business Team as a representative of the Edmonton NorthEast (Manning) area. As this was my first time with the organization, it took a while to get accustomed to the self-directed, develop your own projects style, but I was eventually able to integrate myself into the workflow. Primarily, my focus was on policy and procedures development for the organization itself, including the Employee Handbook (with focus on Health and Safety Policies, Violence and Harassment Policies, and Conflict Resolution), as well as the Business Protocols Document (with focus on the Worker’s Compensation Board, Employee Insurance, and Payroll). I was also responsible for researching and compiling information and potential resources for vulnerable groups within the target age group (15-30) and jurisdiction, usually in the form of web reviews or organization lists.


We were given various opportunities to develop ourselves both as individuals and as professionals. FACTSnet provided a number of courses/assignments/seminars via Google Classroom that allowed me to better verbalize my personality traits, interests, goals, and other characteristics. More importantly though, the self-directed nature of the job allowed me to hone my leadership, communication, and organizational skills in order to better direct what I want to complete, how I should complete these tasks, what do I need from my fellow team members, and how I manage progress. In the future I will be able to use this experience to better approach teamwork concepts.


No comments:

Post a Comment